#HumansofMEA - Bec Olsen, Pan Pacific Hotels Group
This week, #HumansofMEA is profiling Bec Olsen, Senior Sales Manager at Pan Pacific Hotels Group. Bec was asked what skill she'd like to develop (meditation), her top tips for connecting with people at an event, and one important attribute of a successful leader who inspires her, "To lead by example. Working hard, showing professional integrity and having a can do attitude."
We couldn't have said it any better, Bec.
1. Bec, we ask everyone this question as we want some ideas - It is 5 pm on a Friday – what is in your glass?
“Wine of course – Nothing beats a good New Zealand Sauv Blanc – cheers.”
2. If Bec had a super power what would it be?
“To read people’s minds. Would love to know what people really think”.
3. Name the number one place on your bucket list where you would like to travel to and why?
“Egypt. As I would love to view the ancient temples and read all about their history”.
4. Bec, what skill or ability would you like to develop and why?
“My Mediation Skills. Although I am often required to help people negotiate solutions to conflicts, I would like to develop my mediation skills which would help my colleagues reach their own conclusions. Improving their own personal development too.”
(Great skill to have Bec, we would all benefit from having that ability.)
5. Name anything that makes a great meeting, event or conference stand out to Bec and why?
“Content and an engaging presenter. Keeping the audience engaged and interested in the presentation by using humour, poll questions, eye contact, ask audience questions etc.”
6. What is the one skill no one would know Bec had?
“I am a qualified beauty therapist. Wedding makeup artist and hair stylist.”
7. What is one important attribute of a successful leader who inspires you?
“To lead by example. Working hard, showing professional integrity and having a can do attitude”.
Well said Bec.
8. You are at an industry networking event. For us who are first timers, what is your top tip on how to connect with people?
“Have a few good questions to ask in your back pocket. Asking the other person about his/ her background and work will show them that you’re interested in more than just your own job opportunities. The best questions are the ones that can’t be answered with a “yes” or “no”.
9. What is the current TV or Netflix series you are watching?
“Love Island UK”.
10. What would be your dream job and why?
“My dream job would be to work as a kid’s entertainer within the hospital system, what could be better than seeing and hearing a child’s smiles and laughs”.
11. Where would you like to be 10 years from now?
“I would like to relocate to Gold Coast and work in a PPHG resort (They need to open one)” Although I love working for PPHG in Melbourne and representing the Pan Pacific Melbourne, PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport and the PARKROYAL Monash Melbourne."
(Are they planning to open a resort on the GC?)
“PPHG are always looking for new hotel opportunities and hopefully one day they will look at the Gold Coast”.
12. Where would we find Bec on the weekend?
“Spending time with family. We like to organize catch ups around Victoria for quality family time. I have 18 nephews and nieces, and this is always filled with lots of love and laughs”.
Thank you for talking to Humans of MEA Bec - we look forward to seeing you at the next MEA event with our questions ready to go!